Welcome to the Year 6 Class Page
Welcome back and I hope you had a fantastic summer! This term the children will be learning about World War 2 in topic and they will also be completing art work and writing about this time period. In science they will be learning about the human body including the heart and circulation system. Pupils will have P.E. on Mondays and Thursdays but can they please always have their kits in school because this may change at times. I will introduce their project slightly earlier this year but they will have over half term to complete it – I will send a letter out later in the half term.
- Homework will be handed out to the pupils every Friday starting this week and will be expected to be handed in on the following Thursday. If pupils are finding the work difficult, I encourage them to come to me before the Thursday so I can go through it with them. Homework will be:
- Spellings – similar to the way it worked last year, the pupils will receive five new spellings each week. The first week they will have five spellings, second week ten and by the third week they will have fifteen. On the fourth week, the first week’s lot of five spellings are removed so the pupils never have more than fifteen spellings and only five of these are new. Pupils are expected to learn these spellings and write a sentence but only for the five new spellings.
- Times tables/rapid recall – The times table scheme from last year will continue and I have received Mr Jackson’s table that shows me what stage each pupil is at. If they have finished the scheme, they will receive rapid recall facts instead.
- Reading – Pupils are expected to read every night but I do understand at times this is not always possible with clubs or other after school events. I am currently looking at changing expectations for this slightly and will send an update on this soon.
- Maths/English – Pupils will receive one piece of homework related to either the learning of English or Maths for that week.
From this week we will start to look at Derbyshire with the pupils. We will also start to ask and organise bits such as who the pupils would like to share a room with.
Any concerns or anything you wish to discuss with me, I will be on the playground before school, available after school or please pass a note to your child instead of writing in their reading journals. I will check their diaries every week but I cannot guarantee that I can check them every day for notes.